Ron Makarem, Esq.
The probability that we may fail in the struggle ought not to deter us from the support of a cause we believe to be just.”
Ron was awarded, “Top Attorney” in Southern California by Los Angeles Magazine and a Super Lawyer for 2013. In 2012, Ron received the distinguished CLAY award for “Attorney of the Year” by California Lawyer Magazine for his work on a landmark California Supreme Court case. In 2012, Ron also became a certified legal malpractice specialist by the California State Bar. In 2007, Ron was selected as one of the “Top 20 Under 40” Attorneys in California by California’s largest legal newspaper, The Daily Journal. He was selected by Super Lawyer’s magazine as a “Super Lawyer” in 2012, 2011, and a “Rising Star” in 2010.
Education and Background
Ron attended the University of Southern California and graduated with honors in 1992 with a degree in Political Science with honors, cum laude. Ron then attended Pepperdine University School of Law where he received his Juris Doctor degree in 1995. In 2001, at the young age of 30, he became a partner at the law firm of Ruben & Jones, later Ruben & Makarem, before starting Makarem & Associates in 2004.
Throughout his entire legal career, he has dedicated his practice to litigating on behalf of the consumer and strives to maintain the public’s respect for the legal profession.
Injustice anywhere is a threat to justice everywhere.”
- $2.53 million judgment for his clients – victims of an attorney’s unreasonable billing practices and legal malpractice.
- Undisclosed settlement for a reality-television writer in the high-profile case against Donald Trump, NBC, and reality-television producer Mark Burnett regarding the hit-television show “The Apprentice.”
- $2.6 million settlement in a legal malpractice case against the law firm of Skadden Arps – one of the most prominent law firms in the world.
- In 2010, Ron argued before the California Supreme Court an important case relating to the mediation privilege – Cassel v. Wasserman, Comden.
- In 2011, he certified a large wage and hour class action against DHL.
- In 2011, Ron defended Splash News & Picture Agency in a lawsuit brought by a woman claiming her right of privacy was invaded when she was videotaped with Heath Ledger at a SAG Awards after-party.
- California, 1995
- U.S. District Court Central District of California, 1995
- U.S. Court of Appeals 9th Circuit.
Professional Associations and Memberships
- Consumer Attorneys Association of Los Angeles – CAALA, (1997 – Present Member, Education Committee)
- Arab American Lawyers Association of Southern California – AALASC (2009 – Present Member)
- Los Angeles County Bar Association, 2007 – 2008 (Member, Professional Rules and Ethics Committee)
- National Academy of Elder Abuse Attorneys (Former Member)
- American Association for Justice (Former Member)
- Order of the Barristers (Former Member)
Honors and Awards
- Top 100 Attorney in Southern California, Los Angeles Magazine, 2013
- U.S. News & World Report Best Law Firm Nominee, 2013
- California Lawyer Magazine Attorney of the Year, 2012
- Super Lawyer 2010, 2011, 2012, 2013
- Top 20 Attorneys in California Under the Age of 40
- Ruben & Makarem, Partner
- Pepperdine University School of Law, Malibu, California, 1995 J.D.
- University of Southern California, Los Angeles, California, 1992 B.A.
- Honors: Cum Laude
- Major: Political Science