Ensuring Fair Compensation For Your Time And Labor
Time is money. You know it and employers know it. Employers also know that the more they shell out on payroll, the thinner their profits are. This leads to illegal actions such as misclassifying employees, asking employees to take care of tasks off the clock and failing to pay overtime. If you suspect you are not being fairly compensated according to the law, it’s time to seek out the advice of an experienced California employment law attorney.
At Makarem & Associates, we assert the rights of employees in wage and hour cases in Los Angeles and throughout California. We know the games employers play and have the skills necessary to level the playing field and make sure employees get the full and fair compensation they deserve for their work and their time.
California Wage And Hour Laws
Wage and hour rules are governed by the California Labor Code, the Industrial Welfare Commission Wage Orders for various industries and California common law. Some of the common violations that give rise to class action litigation against employers include:
- Employers failing to pay at least minimum wage to employees for all work performed
- An employer failing to pay employees at the proper overtime rate for all overtime work performed
- An employer failing to provide proper pay stubs with all required information
- Employers improperly classifying employees as “exempt” from overtime pay and/or meal and rest periods
- Employers improperly classifying employees as independent contractors to avoid having to comply with California’s labor code requirements for employees
- Employers failing to provide compliant meal and/or rest periods to employees and failing to compensate those employees for the noncompliant meal and/or rest periods
Employers are responsible for complying with all the requirements of the California Labor Code, and if they fail to comply, they may be required to provide compensation to employees for violations, as well as being subject to substantial penalties.
Seek Guidance From A Knowledgeable Employment Lawyer
Our labor and employment lawyers have the experience and resources to successfully prosecute wage and hour class action lawsuits and can advise you about your rights. If you and your co-workers have been made to work off-the-clock without compensation, have not been properly compensated for all overtime work, have not been provided with compliant meal and/or rest periods, or if you have been mistakenly classified as an exempt employee or an independent contractor, you may be entitled to compensation for your unpaid wages and benefits, as well as substantial penalties. Contact us today to schedule your free, confidential consultation.